Friday, October 31, 2014

Today's devotional from Pastor Clay: Fulfilling the Call of God - Romans 15:32

October 31, 2014
View this email in your browser

Fulfilling the call of God - Romans 15:32

"...that I may come to you with joy by the will of God" Romans 15:32

"The will of God" - That small phrase is to me one of the most powerful truths of our Christian walk: It defines someone who has been chosen by God, given a specific mission, prepared and equipped for that mission, and sent out on that mission. We would all agree that Paul had a great call on his life...

But I believe it's a mistake to look at Paul as a man with a great call on his life, yet see ourselves as only "regular Christians." I wonder, should we even say that someone "has a great call," as if that person's call is somehow more important to God than what another Christian might be called to do? How do we even measure a great call? A big church? Having several books in print? A well-known web site? If those are the criteria, then most of the prophets in the bible wouldn't qualify. I believe when we consider ourselves to be small-time players in God's plan, we're putting a lid on what God may want to accomplish in and through us. 

It seems to me that the bible clearly teaches that each of us are fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps 139:14), that we have been specifically called by God (2 Tim 1:9), that He gives each of us the same Holy Spirit (Rom 8:9), that He desires to work in and through us (Phil 2:13), and that He has already set in place His works for us to accomplish (Eph 2:10), and by the way that's not an exhaustive list! 

That tells me that each of us has a great call on our life, and an important part to play in God's plan. Each one of us are mission critical to fulfilling God's call here on this earth, and specially in our city. I don't think God is looking for a few good men that will fulfill big calls; I believe He is looking for all of us as His children, and His church, to say "yes" to fulfilling the call of God in each of our lives, whatever that call might be. People like Moses, David, Ruth, Deborah, Nehemiah, and Paul, who were all regular people that said "YES" to God's plan for their life.

The question isn't "do I have a big call or a small call," it's "will I say yes to God, whatever the call?" And I often find the we won't know the call until we're willing to say yes; God doesn't work through those who offer Him "conditional service."

I believe the most powerful prayer a Christian can pray is "Lord, show me what to do, and I'll do it." I promise you, if you begin asking God, He'll answer that prayer, and you may be surpized, as your call may be greater than you think.

"Lord, help me to fulfill your call for my life, show me what to do, and I'll do it."

Pastor Clay

 

Enjoy this devotional?  Share it with someone!
Share
Tweet
Forward
Connect
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Subscribe by email
Subscribe by email
Copyright © 2014 Calvary Chapel of Wilmington, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you subscribed through our website or my blog. You can click the "Manage Subscriptions" link to manage your email preferences.
 
Calvary Chapel of Wilmington
2831 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC 28412

Add us to your address book

910-791-1858 | www.calvaryofwilmington.org
 

No comments: