Friday, October 10, 2014

Today's Devotional from Pastor Clay: Receiving the Word of God - 1 Thessalonians 2:13

October 10, 2014
View this email in your browser

Receiving the Word of God - 1 Thessalonians 2:13

For this reason we also thank God without ceasing, because when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13

There's a huge difference in hearing something, and receiving it. All day we're bombarded by messages through, TV, the internet, billboards, and all of them send a message: Buy this item, wear it, etc, and you'll be better, or healthier, or more appealing. I don't know about you, but I don't believe those messages. They go into my mind and are promptly filed into the "I could care less" category. I hear the message, but most times I don't receive it.

Did you know its possible to do the same with the word of God? We might hear a message, or read a passage from the word, and thus we're presented with a truth, but it goes in one ear and out the other. We file it under the "I'm not going to deal with that right now" category. When that happens we've effectively disarmed the word of God, rendering it powerless in our lives.

But if we'll do what Paul suggests, receive the word of God as truth that can be applied to our lives today, we'll experience not only an increase in knowledge, but the power of God working in our lives on a daily basis! I have a pattern when I read God's word, I ask myself:

- What is God saying to me through His word?
- What am I going to do about it?


These two questions help me to not only read those truths, but to receive those truths into my life, and allow them to change me.

Paul's encouragement to the Thessalonicans is one we should all take to heart: 

...receive the word of God, welcome it not as truth, and it will effectively work in us who believe!

"Lord, help me to receive your word today, welcoming it into my heart, and let it effectively work in my life today."

Pastor Clay

 

Enjoy this devotional?  Share it with someone!
Share
Tweet
Forward
Connect
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Subscribe by email
Subscribe by email
Copyright © 2014 Calvary Chapel of Wilmington, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you subscribed through our website or my blog. You can click the "Manage Subscriptions" link to manage your email preferences.
 
Calvary Chapel of Wilmington
2831 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC 28412

Add us to your address book

910-791-1858 | www.calvaryofwilmington.org
 

No comments: