Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Today's Devotional from Pastor Clay: Keep on Keepin’ On - 2 Thessalonians 3:13

October 15, 2014
View this email in your browser

Keep On Keepin' On - 2 Thessalonians 3:13

My wife has a saying that she often uses; "keep on keepin' on!" I recently asked her where it came from, and as is usually the case with her cute colloquialisms, she told me "I have no idea, I just say it!"

Regardless, the saying dovetails perfectly with the encouragement that Paul gives in 2 Thessalonians 3, where he writes:

But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good. 2 Thessalonians 3:13

Why would Paul need to tell Christians no not grow weary of doing good? Because in this life, doing good often goes unappreciated, or worse, un-noticed. Perhaps you've watched a coworker slack off, yet still get the same paycheck, or a neighbor cheats on his taxes, and buys a nice boat with the extra money. All the while, you're playing by the rules, being honest, and yet struggling to support your family. It's easy to start feeling like your "doing good" doesn't matter, that no one notices, and that it's not getting you anywhere.

Paul reminds us that in fact, someone is watching; The Lord! We serve the all-knowing, ever-present God of the universe, and He promises us something more valuable than the praise of man, or material things. He promises us an inheritance that will last forever;

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ. Colossians 3:23-24

So next time you're feeling down about life, keep in mind that you're serving the Lord of Heaven and earth, that He keeps good records, and He's keeping our reward, reserved for us in heaven:

"Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done." Revelation 22:12

So, like my wife likes to say, just "keep on keepin' on!"

"Lord, today help me to keep my focus on the fact that I serve You."

Pastor Clay

Enjoy this devotional?  Share it with someone!
Share
Tweet
Forward
Connect
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Subscribe by email
Subscribe by email
Copyright © 2014 Calvary Chapel of Wilmington, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you subscribed through our website or my blog. You can click the "Manage Subscriptions" link to manage your email preferences.
 
Calvary Chapel of Wilmington
2831 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC 28412

Add us to your address book

910-791-1858 | www.calvaryofwilmington.org
 

No comments: