Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Today's Devotional from Pastor Clay: Spiritual Maintenance - Philippians 3:1

October 1, 2014
View this email in your browser

Spiritual Maintenance - Philippians 3:1

For me to write the same things to you is not tedious, but for you it is safe. Philippians 3:1

The other day my oldest daughter bought her first new vehicle, and me being dad, I sent her a note giving her some fatherly advice on owning a vehicle. "Be sure and change the oil regularly, rotate the tires, etc. There's an owners manual in the glove box, read it!"

Now, I'm aware that she knows about automobile maintenance, so why did I think she needed to be reminded of those things? It's because I remember the first few cars I owned, and while I too was aware of maintenance requirements, at that age I was too busy having fun, and so I usually forgot. So my cars, and ultimately me, paid the price! I've since learned that I need reminders to help me remember to perform the maintenance on my cars. As a result, the cars I own today are in better condition.

I've found that my spiritual life is similar, in that while I can have a knowledge of how to keep my spiritual house in order, it's easy to get caught up in the business of life and forget those things. And just like a car engine that isn't being maintained will slowly and silently degrade, if I'm not doing regular spiritual maintenance, my spiritual life will degrade. I need reminders!

And that's what the Word of God does for me; It reminds me of what is good, it corrects me when I'm wrong, and it instructs me in righteousness. That's why Paul told Timothy:

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Even though a lot of what I read in the bible is information that I already know, reading it reminds me of what my life should look like as a Christian. Reading and meditating on God's word isn't tedious, it's beneficial. 

"Lord, help me to be consistent with my own spiritual maintenance, so that I'll be ready and equipped for every good work you send my way."

Pastor Clay

 

Enjoy this devotional?  Share it with someone!
Share
Tweet
Forward
Connect
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Subscribe by email
Subscribe by email
Copyright © 2014 Calvary Chapel of Wilmington, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you subscribed through our website or my blog. You can click the "Manage Subscriptions" link to manage your email preferences.
 
Calvary Chapel of Wilmington
2831 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC 28412

Add us to your address book

910-791-1858 | www.calvaryofwilmington.org
 

No comments: