Thursday, October 30, 2014

Today's Devotional from Pastor Clay: Funding the Mission - Romans 15:24

October 30, 2014
View this email in your browser

Funding the Mission - Romans 15:24

When Paul wrote his letter to the church at Rome, his intention was to visit Rome on his way to Spain, as he wrote:

"For I hope to see you on my journey, and to be helped on my way there by you…" Romans 15:24

But his visit wasn't only to spend time with the saints there; He was also counting on them to assist him in his mission to preach the gospel in Spain. What I find interesting is that Paul didn't spend any time trying to "sell the vision" of why they should help him get to Spain. It was an automatic that they would help him. 

I think in some ways there's been a disconnect in the church between the "staff professionals" and the congregation when it comes to funding the mission of the church. Church members have become skeptics when it comes to providing financial support to the mission of the church: The church leaders have to "sell" the project, convince everyone that it's a "true need" (as defined by that particular person). This is widely recognized, as I get solicitations every week from companies that exist for the sole purpose of "assisting" churches in getting their people to give more generously.

In my mind it comes down to priorities, and trust. Think of it this way: If I were to decide to remodel my home, I would sit down with a contractor that I trust, we'd outline what my goals are, then we'd put together a plan to accomplish the work. Then, I fund the mission 100%. See, I know that if I don't give the contractor all of the money for the project, then I'm going to end up with an unfinished project. If I decide half-way through that I'm tired of paying, I'm going to end up with an unfinished project. Funding the mission is required in order to complete the mission.

Come to think of it, we exercise this same diligence in every other area of our lives: Repairing the car, planning a vacation, going hunting or fishing, we make sure we have the finances and the resources available to accomplish our mission.

And so it should be in the church, as our mission is infinitely more important than remodeling a home, buying a car, or going on a trip. The mission of the church changes the lives of people for all of eternity; We're tasked with leading people out of darkness and a one-way ticket to hell, and instead putting them on the path to a life of victory, and an eternity in heaven. 

What mission could be more important to fund?

"Lord, help me to be purposeful in my financial giving to the mission of the church. Help me to see it from an eternal perspective."

Pastor Clay

 

Enjoy this devotional?  Share it with someone!
Share
Tweet
Forward
Connect
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Subscribe by email
Subscribe by email
Copyright © 2014 Calvary Chapel of Wilmington, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you subscribed through our website or my blog. You can click the "Manage Subscriptions" link to manage your email preferences.
 
Calvary Chapel of Wilmington
2831 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC 28412

Add us to your address book

910-791-1858 | www.calvaryofwilmington.org
 

No comments: