Saturday, July 19, 2014

Today's Devotional from Pastor Clay: No Judgment Zone - Romans 8:1

July 19, 2014
View this email in your browser

Judgment Free Zone

The gym our family frequents has a big sign on the wall that says  "Judgment Free Zone," meaning you can workout without fear of being judged by the "lunkheads," the guys that are as big as a house (or the gals that sport 4% body fat).  Sometimes I feel like putting that sign up in our church, not because I think our church has a problem judging people, but because often people have a problem thinking God is judging THEM.

About a month ago I had a long conversation with someone about "God," and after wading through the typical "Christians have done all sorts of bad things" phase of the discussion, we ended up at a very simple reason this person avoided God:  They felt that God would never accept them.  They had done too many bad things for God to ever be able to forgive them. I had to wonder, "how many people never approach God because they feel too ashamed to face Him?"  Thankfully there is an answer to this person, and it's Romans 8:1:

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:1

See, becoming a Christian does't mean that a person will never sin again, that would be literally impossible, Prov 24:16 tells us that even the righteous man falls seven times a day!  Christians aren't perfect, we're FORGIVEN!  When God removes our sins from us, they're gone forever:

As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.  Psalm 103:12

See the problem for the unsaved person is that they have nothing to do with their guilt and shame, all they can do is stuff it, but it never goes away.  When a Christian fails, we can bring our failure to God, who's already forgiven us. 

What this means:

For the unsaved person: You can bring your failures to God, accept His forgiveness, and receive His Son Jesus Christ, who died to pay the price for your sin, once and for all!  

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.  John 3:16-17

For the Christian: You can bring your failures to God, who is faithful to forgive and restore.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:9

To me, one of the greatest blessings of my relationship with God is that because of my faith in Christ, God's isn't up in heaven judging me for every mistake I make.  He loves me, He's forgiven me, He continues to forgive me, and I can walk in the freedom of being accepted by God, even though I'm far from being perfect.  

And that's the message that I want everyone I know to hear... 

Friend, if you've never asked Christ into your heart, you can say this prayer right now: 

"Dear Lord Jesus, I know I am a sinner. I believe You died for my sins. Right now, I turn from my sins and open the door of my heart and life. I confess You as my personal Lord and Savior. Thank You for saving me. Amen."

Pastor Clay

Enjoy this devotional?  Share it with someone!
Share
Tweet
Forward
CONNECT
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Copyright © 2014 Calvary Chapel of Wilmington, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you subscribed through our website or my blog. You can click the "Manage Subscriptions" link to manage your email preferences.
 
Calvary Chapel of Wilmington
2831 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC 28412

Add us to your address book

910-791-1858 | www.calvaryofwilmington.org
 

No comments: