Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Today's Devotional from Pastor Clay: Preach in the Power of the Spirit - 1 Cor 2:4-5

August 5, 2014
View this email in your browser

Preach in the Power of the Spirit 1 Cor 1:2-4

Have you ever attempted to debate with someone on the merits of Christianity?  Or perhaps tried to use logic and reasoning to win them to Christ?  I'm curious, how did it work out?  I've personally had many debates with people about God and Christianity, and to be honest, none of them worked out very well. There were times when I realized that while I might have won the 'debate,' I lost the war, because that person was no closer to coming to Christ than before we started.

I think Paul understood this; In Acts 17 Paul was in Athens, and he addressed the philosophers in the Areopagus, and preached his "Sermon to the Unknown God." After preaching what I would consider a really good message, the result was not so great:

And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked, while others said, "We will hear you again on this matter." Acts 17:32

A few people ended up believing, but Paul made no headway with the intellectuals of Athens.

I wonder if Paul didn't walk away from that with a lesson:  Rather than attempt to persuade people into believing the gospel, why not just share the truth, and let God do the work?  It does seem that was Paul's approach by the time he went to the city of Corinth:

And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God. 1 Cor 2:4-5 (NLT)

Guys, when sharing your faith with someone, don't try and dress up the gospel, or debate the merits…  just simply tell them that God loves them, that Christ died for them, and trust the Holy Spirit to be the power that turns their heart to the Lord.  

"Lord, help me rely on the power of your Holy Spirit when I'm sharing my faith, and trust you with the results."

Pastor Clay

Enjoy this devotional?  Share it with someone!
Share
Tweet
Forward
Connect
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Subscribe by email
Subscribe by email
Copyright © 2014 Calvary Chapel of Wilmington, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you subscribed through our website or my blog. You can click the "Manage Subscriptions" link to manage your email preferences.
 
Calvary Chapel of Wilmington
2831 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC 28412

Add us to your address book

910-791-1858 | www.calvaryofwilmington.org
 

No comments: