Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Today's Devotional from Pastor Clay: The Gift of New Life: Peace & Joy - John 10:10

December 17. 2014
View this email in your browser

The Gift of New Life: Peace & Joy - John 10:10

I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10

This week we're looking at ten things that Christians have been given as a result of the new life that we have in Jesus Christ (you can read part 1 HERE, and part 2 HERE). Today we'll be looking at number 6 & 5 in our countdown - Peace and Joy.

#6 - Peace

When I was a teen, the motto of the younger generation was "peace, man!" To be honest it was more of a cool saying that something we actually lived by. It was a generic term that could have meant anything we wanted it to. That is not the same as the peace of God. Jesus told us:

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. John 14:27

The peace of God has two aspects, the first being "peace with God." I don't know about you, but before I became a Christian, I was always looking over my shoulder! I knew that I was a sinner, and that I deserved punishment, and I felt it was just a matter of time before the God-hammer came out, and I would be done for! But once I accepted Christ, my status changed. I went from being an enemy of God, to being reconciled to God:

For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation. Rom 5:10-11

When I gave my life to Christ, all of my sins, past present and future, were forgiven once and for all. I could relax! 

The second aspect of the peace of God is "the peace of God." I know that sounds repetitive, but what I mean is that once we have a relationship with Christ, the peace of Christ is added to my life (remember "My peace I give you"). This is the supernatural peace that God gives to His people;
  • Peace that we are now under the protection of the mighty hand of God;
  • Peace that we are now part of God's sovereign plan for my life and the world;
  • Peace that our future is secure with Christ in Heaven.  
You cannot buy this peace, but it is freely given to those who are in Christ Jesus.

#5 - Joy

"These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full." John 15:11

There is a joy that can come from circumstances, for instance when something good happens, like finding a $100 bill on the ground. This joy can come and go as circumstances change.

The joy that comes from our new life in Christ, however, is not dictated by circumstances. It is a permanent joy that comes from...
  • Knowing we're forgiven
  • Knowing we have relationship with the creator of the universe,
  • Knowing that we have eternity with Christ in heaven to look forward to
This is a joy that remains even when our circumstances are horrible, as His joy fills us and propels us through the storms of life.

So today, be thankful for the peace and the joy that we have as a result of our new life in Christ.

Pastor Clay

 

Enjoy this devotional?  Share it with someone!
Share
Tweet
Forward
Connect
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Subscribe by email
Subscribe by email
Copyright © 2014 Calvary Chapel of Wilmington, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you subscribed through our website or my blog. You can click the "Manage Subscriptions" link to manage your email preferences.
 
Calvary Chapel of Wilmington
2831 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC 28412

Add us to your address book

910-791-1858 | www.calvaryofwilmington.org
 

No comments: