Thursday, October 06, 2011

...in the multitude of Your mercy.


This coming Sunday is communion service.  To be honest, I was unaware of it until someone texted me and ask about it.  Yes, I have an excuse:  I have been having some serious technical issues with my computer and my ‘smart phone’ (which, it turns out, isn’t so smart!). All of my calendar events were wiped out, including my reminder of Communion this Sunday.

But then as I started reviewing the latter part of 1 Samuel 14, something really jumped out at me.  See I was reading about how Saul, once he saw that the Philistine army was in chaos, made the men of the army take an oath that they would not eat anything until the Philistine army was defeated. His exact words were “Cursed is the man who eats any food until evening, before I have taken vengeance on my enemies” (1 Sam 14:24).

What Saul did was wrong on so many level’s (which we will get into later!), but there was one specific way that stood out to me:  Saul took something that was good and spiritual, a fast, and forced it on his men.

As I read that, and contemplated on our upcoming communion service, I had to ask:  Are we doing it just because it’s on our calendar, and we always do it the second Sunday of the month?  Or are we coming to communion with hearts ready to fellowship with the Lord, and with one another?

I don’t know about you, but I never want to approach something as holy and spiritual as the Lord’s Supper with an attitude of “well, it’s communion Sunday again!”  For me, I am going to take time this week to reflect on who Jesus Christ is to me, what He has done for me, and how I can be closer to Him.  I encourage you to do the same, and then on Sunday let’s come together, the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit in our presence, and worship our Lord and our King!

But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy; In fear of You I will worship toward Your holy temple.  Ps 5:7
 


… till the whole world hears,

Pastor Clay

No comments: