- They are given a desire to carry children - a vessel of human continuity (true story, my wife didnt even like children, until we were married for about a year. Suddenly she wanted four. That's right - four.)
- They willingly take on carrying a parasite - a large parasite - for nine months. It makes them as big as a house.
- They go through 1-2 days of the worst pain known to man - like passing a watermelon. Then, inexplicably, they DO IT AGAIN - perhaps several times. Apparently God gives them some sort of amnesia, and they forget what they went through (if I carried the child, it would only happen ONCE).
- After birthing this child, going through the worst pain imaginable, having their beautiful bodies changed in ways that may never be recovered - they then spend the next 20+ years serving every need of their child. Feeding - changing - bathing - teaching - over and over - every day - a constant nurturing and meeting of endless needs. It makes me tired just thinking about it.
- For the rest of their lives a mother will think about, care for, and pray for that child.
I think that today we should thank God for giving the world the gift of motherhood, because without it our world would be a cold and uncaring place.
And Adam called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.
Gen 3:20 NKJV