Friday, January 23, 2015

Strategy - A Biblical Principle

Friday January 23, 2015
View this email in your browser

Strategy - A Biblical Principle

This Sunday at Calvary Chapel our Elders and Pastors will be sharing our vision for 2015, and the strategy that we believe will help us reach that vision. Yesterday's blog post talked about Vision (read it HERE), today I'm going to share about strategy.

Back when my daughters were still little girls (they're all grown up now!), I decided to build a playhouse for them in our backyard. I had some experience in construction, and I figured "how hard can it be?" So I gathered some materials, and started construction. But I blew off one important part of the project - I didn't develop a plan, I just started nailing things together. I finished the playhouse, but it took forever, and it was pretty sad looking. I'm sure the next owners of the house tore it down!

Over the years I've come to realize that in order for me to accomplish anything, I must have a strategy. You can have fantastic goals, but without a strategy, they'll never come to pass. 

Some Christians have the position that planning and strategy isn't "spiritual." They believe that all they need to do is pray, trust God, and everything will work out. Trust me; It won't! 

Think about it: Perhaps God has put on my heart that I need to lose weight. I can have a conviction about that goal, but in order for that goal to become a reality I'm going to have to change what I eat. I'll have to buy different food at the grocery store, choose different meals when I eat out, exercise regularly. I need a strategy to accomplish my goal.

If I want to grow spiritually; again, I can have a conviction about that goal, but in order for that goal to become a reality I'm going to have to set aside time each day to read my bible, contemplate and meditate on what God is saying, spend time in prayer.

In other words, if I don't develop a strategy, and apply that strategy, nothing is going to change. It's been said, "If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what your getting."

Strategy is a Biblical Principle

Nehemiah was a God-appointed leader who used a strategy. When God laid it on his heart to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem, he went to Jerusalem, and told the leaders;

"You see the distress that we are in, how Jerusalem lies waste, and its gates are burned with fire. Come and let us build the wall of Jerusalem, that we may no longer be a reproach." And I told them of the hand of my God which had been good upon me, and also of the king's words that he had spoken to me. So they said, "Let us rise up and build." Then they set their hands to this good work. Nehemiah 2:17-18

Nehemiah established a well-planned strategy to accomplish the vision God had given him; He assessed the damage; He secured the resources; He established leaders, and distributed the assignments among them. 

The wisest man in the world, King Solomon, gave us some excellent instruction on planning and strategy:
  • Proverbs 14:15: "A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought to his steps."
  • Proverbs 15:22: "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed."
  • Proverbs 16:3: "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."
  • Proverbs 16:9: "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
  • Proverbs 20:18: "Make plans by seeking advice; if you wage war, obtain guidance."
  • Proverbs 19:20-21: "Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."
God's purpose - think about that for a moment - without question, it is God's plan we want, not our own. God has a plan for this world, for our church, and for your life, and He promises us that it will come to pass:

The LORD Almighty has sworn, "Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand."  Isaiah 14:24

The Lord Jesus was fully aware of God the Father's plan - He didn't just walk around aimlessly, bumping into ministry opportunities. He was carrying out the plan given to Him by His Father:

I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. John 17:4

Jesus had a mission, and so do you. God didn't fearfully and wonderfully make you, and give you gifts and abilities, just so you could wander through life aimlessly.

God has a specific plan, designed specifically for your life.

That plan is designed to dovetail within the context of the body of believers that He has placed you in.

His heart is to reveal that plan to you, and empower you to fulfill it! 


Bottom line, What we're called to do is important, and it's worth developing a strategy to ensure that you accomplish that important plan!

Here's how to get started:
  • Seek the Lord for wisdom and direction
  • Write down the things God gives you - your goals
  • Define the win; what does it look like?
  • Seek wise godly counsel from others
  • Write down the specific things you must do in order to meet those goals
  • Implement those things in your life daily
  • Ask the Lord to strengthen you and guide you as you move forward
  • Give God the praise!

Pastor Clay

 

Enjoy this devotional?  Share it with someone!
Share
Tweet
Forward
Connect
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Subscribe by email
Subscribe by email
Copyright © 2015 Calvary Chapel of Wilmington, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email because you subscribed through our website or my blog. You can click the "Manage Subscriptions" link to manage your email preferences.
 
Calvary Chapel of Wilmington
2831 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC 28412

Add us to your address book

910-791-1858 | www.calvaryofwilmington.org
 

No comments: