Tuesday, March 13, 2012

How to live when you're DEAD



…don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. (Rom 6:3-4)

This Sunday we will celebrate the baptism of more then ten precious souls who have given their life to Jesus Christ (I say “more than ten” because people are still signing up!). 

Baptism is one of the most significant events in the life of a follower of Jesus Christ.  It is significant not because of what they are doing, but because of what it represents – something that is already DONE!  Baptism is an outward expression that a person has begun a new life in Jesus Christ. It symbolizes what has taken place inwardly when you received Christ as your savior and accepted God's grace:

You are now DEAD to sin, and
You are now ALIVE to Christ!

But what does that mean?  Will I never sin again?  If I do, does that mean I have failed as a Christian, and I have to get baptized all over again? If I totally blow it, does that mean something didn’t “take” and I’m not really a Christian after all?

Short answer:  No, no, and NO!

Baptism is simply an outward act of obedience to Christ, and a public testimony to all who are witnessing it that says “I have become a new creation in Christ.”  It’s the “new creation” part that changes who we are, and how we live.  Because you see, it’s no longer US who are living out our lives, but Christ IN US who is living through us.  New life – not mine, but HIS.

Join us Sunday as we celebrate a spiritual milestone with our brothers and sisters in Christ, and learn about the new life that lives in us.  I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t miss if for the world!

… till the whole world hears,

Pastor Clay

No comments: