Thursday, March 25, 2010

Faithful or Foolish?

This has been quite a week for our country.  After a full year of health care debate (or at least it being in the news constantly), our nation has passed a “health care reform” law.  I know that many of you are waiting to see what comment I might have about this event, being the outspoken person that I am.

To be honest I have been a little distracted for the past week or so, as I am working on an “extreme deck makeover” for my beautiful wife.  But I have been watching, and praying, and contemplating the events of the last few days. Truthfully, I am saddened.

Today, I read from Deuteronomy 4:

"Surely I have taught you statutes and judgments, just as the LORD my God commanded me, that you should act according to them in the land which you go to possess. Therefore be careful to observe them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who will hear all these statutes, and say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.' "For what great nation is there that has God so near to it, as the LORD our God is to us, for whatever reason we may call upon Him? And what great nation is there that has such statutes and righteous judgments as are in all this law which I set before you this day? Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren… Deut 4:5-9

It really struck me that God told the nation of Israel that the reason they were to obey His laws and statutes was so that the people of other nations would look upon Israel and be amazed at  their closeness to God.  In other words, they would be a witness to the other nations around them. 

Now I know that God is speaking to Israel, and America has not replaced Israel in God’s eyes. But I find the parallels interesting.  You see since her birth, America has been “One nation, under God”. We have always been a country that was founded on Gods word, His law, and we declared that our basic human rights were given to us by our Creator. We were seen by all others as a country that stood for and practiced Christianity, while at the same time we allowed all people to freely practice the religion of their choice. Whether people agreed with our beliefs or not, other nations knew America was by and large a Christian nation. We have truly been a witness to the nations.

Well my friends, that reality is changing.  Our president declared it in a speech in Turkey, when he said “we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation”. Yes, a majority of people in our country consider themselves Christian, but our government and our institutions are rapidly turning away from our Christian heritage. I am saddened by this.  Not because I think our government should preach the gospel (heaven forbid), but because as a whole our country seems ready to discard the principles and values that have made us great.  I believe that just as Israel paid a price for moving away from God, so will America.

But on the other hand, these are exiting times. As we have been going through Jesus teaching of the “end of the age”, I can see that the time of the return of our Lord is coming soon!  The events of the world are aligning with bible prophecy.  And while the politicians of our day can pass laws, and declare great victories, all of their efforts to create a just and right world will fail, because the heart of man is desperately wicked.  Mankind is simply not capable of ruling this world.

But one day our King will return, and He will rule and reign.  The church will rule and reign with Him.  Where will He find you on that day?

"Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season?  Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing.  Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods.  Matt 24:45-47

Join us Sunday for the 5th installment of our “Olivet Discourse” series: The Contrast:  Faithful vs Foolish

Living to tell what He died to say

Pastor Clay

No comments: