Thursday, October 01, 2009

How good do I have to be, really?

Over the past few weeks we have looked at things like: “How many times do I forgive my friend?  When can I cut him off?”, or “How much do I have to take at home before I can ditch my spouse?”  We have found that people often look for a measuring stick for grace, and yet the answer we keep getting from God is “keep forgiving, keep loving, stay married…”  In other words “keep pouring out love and grace.”

 

As we move further into chapter 19 of Matthew, we find a young man coming to Jesus with a similar question:   “…behold, one came and said to Him, ‘Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?"  

 

In other words this man is asking “so, what’s it gonna take to get into heaven?  What do I do?  How good do I have to be, really?”

 

The question is reasonable and logical.  It’s an excellent question.  As with any excellent question, it brings us to a place of self-examination:

1. What is important to God?

2. What is important to me?

3. How do the two resulting answers align with one another?

 

Join us Sunday as we explore the account of the rich young ruler, and how his encounter with Jesus might help us to see what really matters to God, and perhaps what should matter to us.

 

Till the whole world hears,

 

Pastor Clay

 

No comments: