Thursday, May 17, 2007

This week a beloved member of our family passed away. Our little dog of thirteen years, Angel, passed away from complications stemming from an altercation with the FedEx truck. This family event was further complicated by the fact that "Dad" (I.E. - me!) had been remiss in fixing the 'invisible fence' that kept our little angel in the protective confines of our yard. Echo's of "Dad, Angel's going to get run over" ring in my ears!



Thankfully, my wife and kids are the epitome of grace, and upon arrival last night (their mom gave them the bad news while I was at an elders meeting), I was greeted with "we love you dad, and we don't blame you for Angel's death". Bless you my children!



I share this with you not to elicit sympathy cards, but to share with you a truth... Putting off what needs to be done ALWAYS carries a price. I knew Angel was wandering. I knew I needed to set aside a few hours to fix the fence. I just put it off - plain and simple. I didn't want her to get run over, I didn't think she would get run over (I assumed dogs know when to back off?).

We can apply this principle to changing the oil in our car, painting our house... but do we see this principle in our spiritual lives? Am I able to see things that need to be 'fixed' in my spiritual life... yet put them off because of one reason or another?

  • Am I neglecting time in prayer, in the word, and just communing with God?
  • Is there an area of my life that I need to "clean up", and I just keep putting it off?
  • Is there some sin I am allowing myself to remain in?
  • Is there something that God is calling me to that I am procrastinating?
As sad as it is to lose our little Angel, there are things that occur due to inattention to our spiritual lives that are far worse. What if I am not strong in my walk with the Lord, in the full armor of God, and I fall into a sin that jeopardizes my family? Or what if I slowly lead my kids into compromise through my example? What will be the ramifications of "not doing what needs to be done" in these areas of my life? Lord, help me to stay diligent in these areas!

Stay tuned next week for part 2... "Boundaries"

Till the whole world hears...

Pastor Clay

No comments: