Saturday, January 05, 2013

Radical Sabbatical - Day 2


Yesterday was a pretty chill day, we slept in, had some devo and prayer time.  Our word was from 2 Peter 3:

…grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. – 2 Peter 3:18

I’ve always loved that verse, because to me the most powerful thing we can do as Christians is to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Savior.  When we know His grace, we’ll give His grace.  When we know Him, we are on the path to becoming more like him.  Spurgeon had a phrase that hit me “the man that does not grow, refuses to be blessed.” In other words, when a person refuses to grow (meaning, refuses to study their bible, pray, commune with the Lord), that person is in effect saying “Don’t bless me God.”  For me, I’d rather be more like Jacob, who said “I will not let you go unless you bless me” (Gen 32:26).

So we headed out - the weather was beautiful, the traffic was light coming into DC, and we listened to a good bit of “Killing Kennedy” on the stereo.  Whether or not you appreciate Bill O’Reilly’s show on Fox News or not, the man is an incredible writer, and a gifted orator.   We listened to Killing Lincoln on a trip last year, and were so impressed with the non-biased, historical, and informative aspect of that work, we had to get Killing Kennedy.  So far we’re not disappointed (next up on the list, “Erasing Hell” by Frances Chan).

We got checked into our hotel (so blessed a friend hooked us up at the Sheraton Four Points, which is downtown and so everything you would want to do is within walking distance.)

To be honest I’m still finding it hard to untether,  have this underlying urge to check email, etc.  Don’t worry, my wonderful mate Tammy is doing a great job of assisting me in this effort – “Clay, put the phone down…”  - “…but I was just going to take a picture!!!”  I think it’ll take a week or so to really let go.

We capped the night off with a walk to Chinatown, which is about ten blocks from our hotel.  Tammy & I LOVE Asian food, I think we might end up as missionaries to Thailand one day!

Today we are going to do one my favorite things: wander around aimlessly and go into whatever museum or monument we find.  There are two we have to see:  The Holocaust Museum, and he Air & Space Museum.

We’ll be praying for you all today, we miss you already, and we love you!

PC & Tammy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just now catching up to this site..A few days have gone by and Im glad to see you are not feeling compelled to do the day by day thing..We already miss you and I pray Tammy has found some wonderful Birthday eating establishment for you 2 to celebrate...Be Blessed in your incredible journey and we all pray for safe travels...Happy Birthday..J

Unknown said...

Just catching up now with this website...Sounds like you 2 are on your way to some good times...Have a Happy Birthday and enjoy the city...Its a wonderful town to eat in..Lots of wonderful restaurants especially in Georgetown...Be Blessed ..Safe Travels...Have an Awesome time....We already miss ya'll