Monday, June 11, 2012

Replacing Lies with Truth




And David said in his heart, “Now I shall perish someday by the hand of Saul. There is nothing better for me than that I should speedily escape to the land of the Philistines; and Saul will despair of me, to seek me anymore in any part of Israel. So I shall escape out of his hand.” (1 Sam 27:1)
 
Sunday we looked at David's sudden departure from the truth that God was his source of protection and his refuge, to thinking the only choice that he had was to escape Saul was to go and live with the Philistines, the mortal enemy of God's people.  The key phrase being "And David said in his heart..."  


We learned that what we say in our heart can affect our decisions in some pretty big ways.  The word of God tells us:

For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. (Prov 23:7)

What we say in our heart has great power for good or evil, for life or death.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue. (Prov 18:21)

We looked at four very common lies that Christians experience, the the truth that we need to replace it with:

Lie: “God doesn’t care about me,”
Truth: “God DOES cares about you”

…casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

Lie: “God is not going to provide for me…”
Truth: “God IS going to provide for you…

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:19)

Lie: “This trial is going to overcome me,” 
Truth: “God WILL see you through this trial”

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ (Is 41:10)

Lie: “God doesn't have any plans for me,” 
Truth: “God DOES have a plan for you”

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jer 29:11)


You will notice that each of these lies is contrary to what God's word tells us about Him, and His relationship to us.  Our adversary, Satan, is a liar, and he will attempt to deceive you into believing a lie rather than the truth.  Guys, the key is knowing the TRUTH of the word of God, and how to apply it to our lives. 

No comments: