Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Walking in Freedom

Word for the day…

Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end.
Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart.
Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.
Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.
Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.  
Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared.
Take away the disgrace I dread, for your laws are good.
How I long for your precepts! Preserve my life in your righteousness.
May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise; then I will answer the one who taunts me, for I trust in your word.
Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws.
I will always obey your law, for ever and ever.
I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.
I will speak of your statutes before kings and will not be put to shame, for I delight in your commands because I love them.
I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love, and I meditate on your decrees.
Ps 119:33-48


What an awesome proclamation of God's word!  The statement that jumps out at me is:  “I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.” In other words, aligning our lives with God’s word brings freedom!

Often people think that following God means that we are “constrained”, that we are kept from doing things we want to do.  In fact, just the opposite is true.  When a person lives according to the desires of their own heart and mind, that person ends up being enslaved to his desires.  Our hearts are never satisfied, and so we always need more of whatever it is we think will make us happy.  It is a never-ending pursuit, fueled by the worlds system of marketing pleasure.

However when we align our lives with God, we find peace, joy, and yes, even happiness.

Ps 119:165
Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble.

John 15:9-11
"As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.  If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.  "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.”

Prov 29:18
Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but happy is he who keeps the law.

No comments: