Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sellout

Then I said to them, "If it is agreeable to you, give me my wages; and if not, refrain." So they weighed out for my wages thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter" -- that princely price they set on me. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the LORD for the potter. Zech 11:12-13

Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, "What are you willing to give me if I deliver Him to you?" And they counted out to him thirty pieces of silver. So from that time he sought opportunity to betray Him. Matt 26:14-16


You have to wonder if Judas knew his bible.  Most every Jewish boy was brought up memorizing the law and the prophets (quite unlike our schools today!).  I wonder if the scripture in Zechariah popped into Judas head when the priest uttered the words “thirty pieces of silver.”  Like that sinking feeling you get when you make a terrible decision, but you are not sure if you can face retreating from it. 

In the previous account of Mary anointing Jesus with spikenard, we see an act of true worship.  At about the same time, Judas also goes into action, except Judas was heading in a different direction altogether.

The contrast is stunning:  Mary showing her love and devotion in a way that was tremendously costly to her; Judas selling Jesus out for the price of a common slave.

Join us Sunday, as we look into the life of one disciple, Judas.


Pastor Clay

No comments: