Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Greatest Commandment

“What is the greatest commandment?”  Many have asked the question, and thought perhaps that there would be a deep theological answer.  Or maybe a long list of things that we have to do to please God.  But the fact is, Jesus made it really simple:  

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. Matt 22:36-38

Hmm… love God?  So what do I do with that?  How do I accomplish that? Obey all of his laws?  Follow perfectly the sayings of Christ? Go to church every Sunday?  Then Jesus goes on…

“And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matt 22:39-40

So how do I love my neighbor as myself?  Does that mean I have to love myself first?  Do I give him all my stuff?  Why am I so confused?  Well, let me tell you that Jesus doesn’t mean to confuse us, but He does want us to understand His meaning.  Join us Sunday as we explore the greatest commandment.

Till the whole world hears...

Pastor Clay

No comments: