Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Give thanks in ALL things

...give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  1 Thess 5:18

As Christians, we know to thank God when things are going well.  But do we thank God when things aren't going well?  What about when we're hard-pressed on every side, perplexed, persecuted, struck down... (2 Cor 4:8)?

Do we see God working in the difficult times?  Paul makes this statement to "give thanks in *all* circumstances," not some... but ALL! But how can I do that? How can I give thanks when I'm down?

I believe the answer is in recognizing that God is sovereign.  Recognizing that nothing comes into our lives that has not been filtered through the hands of our loving God. Even the hard times.  Even the tribulations that we have brought on ourselves.

If God is truly over all, then He knew this situation would come into my life.  He watched if I made wrong decisions that brought me to this place. Instead of sheltering me from the repercussions, He allowed it to come into my life so that I would learn. So that I would be strengthened. So that I would lean on Him for my comfort and strength.  It is always God's will for me to grow, and it is usually through adversity that I grow.

And in the end, I am stronger, wiser, my faith has increased, and God is glorified.

No comments: