Monday, August 11, 2008

Another Update from Georgia

This is from Jenny, one of the staff from DTS in Tbilisi.
------------------
Hello brothers and sisters,

This is Lauren again--Jenni wrote this morning asked me to forward you all another update for her:


I just received an update that the Russian troops are not stopping. People/different countries are trying to mediate peace, but the Russians are still going. They've occupied Gori (it's a town that is/was a military center) and the Georgian troops are heading to Tbilisi to protect the capitol. I don't know how it all happened for sure. One person said that the Russians took it, one said that the Georgians left and the Russians walked in, but whatever the case, Gori is occupied. I am actually not in Tbilisi, I'm still in a small village about an hour away, and we are very safe so far. But I have many friends in Tbilisi, including Marina and her kids David & Irma, so part of me is still in Tbilisi. Also, there is another problem, since some places have been bombed, there has been a flood of refugees entering Tbilisi, and other cities, and it's creating quite some problems. The refugees are breaking into houses to steal food and stuff, so that's part of why I'm really worried about Marina. People in Tbilisi are just in panic and the president is on the television every hour trying to calm people down.

Many of you responded to my last email with the advice to leave. I want to say I appreciate your concern, but it's still not in my plans. Of course I'm scared (and really trying to give my fear up to God), but I'm ready. I don't feel like He has told me to leave, and I don't want to. Many people have left with their families and I understand why, they are responsible for more than just themselves. But I am choosing to stay, and I'm praying for God's strength to do that. Who knows, maybe it will all end tomorrow, maybe it will continue for a while. I have no idea, but God knows and I'm trusting and learning to trust Him in that and also with my very life.

Please pray for us, especially for my friends in Tbilisi. Please continue to pray for Georgia and also for Russia. And most of all, pray that neither Georgia or Russia would win the battle, but that GOD would win.

" Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."
Psalm 27:14

No comments: