Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What Makes the World Go Round...


Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God…
2 Cor 6:14-16

Last week we talked about “commercial Babylon” in the tribulation period, the system that will be the ‘mother-of-all-globally-encompassing-economic-systems’, that the Anti-Christ will utilize to enslave the world through commerce and wealth. While that might seem far-fetched, we can see the underpinnings of this system at work today. Stop and give some thought as to the messages that come to us from a thousand different sources; TV, radio, magazines, internet, newspapers… all of them telling you “you can have it all, the “American Dream”, if you only buy their product or use their service.

Truly, “money is what makes the world go round”, so to speak. That would be “this world”. Yet we are still faced with a dilemma. Certain things are needed to live in our culture, such as food, clothing, living space, transportation. Tthe dilemma that many Christians face is “where do I draw the line?” How much is “OK?” When does “it” become “too much?”

Perhaps a good indicator is this: What occupies the throne of my life? What do I dwell on? What do I yearn for? You see, if we are always thinking about the next thing (house, car, promotion, just fill in the blank), that is a good indicator that I am caught up in the trap of the world system. It indicates that I believe that some fulfillment will come from that next objective being met, or item being acquired.

The fact is – we will always act on our core beliefs. If I believe that the things of the world will fulfill me, I will act towards that end. If I believe that there is an eternity waiting for me on the other side of this physical existence, and that the things I do in the Lords Kingdom will be rewarded in that kingdom, then guess what – I will act on that belief!

It seems to me that is exactly what the book of Revelation is communicating to us. This world will pass away. Another kingdom is coming, the Kingdom of God. It’s one thing to build a life here. It takes a good, solid, dose of this thing we call faith to look past all of this and see into the eternal Kingdom of God that is coming!

Pastor Clay

No comments: